Periodontology is a discipline of dentistry that specialises in the prevention and treatment of periodontal disease (commonly known as periodontitis) and diseases of the oral mucosa.
- • Periodontium is a set of tissues surrounding the teeth (gums, periodontium, root cementum, alveolar bone), commonly called “keeping the tooth in the bone”.
The treatment of periodontal disease is a complex issue and a common problem of up to 90% of adult Poles, presenting a challenge for the periodontist. Periodontal diseases are the most common cause of tooth loss after caries. Usually the therapy does not end with a single visit, and the treatment is a multi-stage process.
We meet the needs of our Patients and offer comprehensive care, also by an experienced periodontist – dr Agnieszki Olszewskiej-Dzierżoń.
SYMPTOMS THAT MAY INDICATE PERIODONTAL DISEASE:
- bleeding gums,
- cervical exposure (tooth lengthening),
- tooth sensitivity,
- tooth mobility/loss,
- gaps between the teeth,
- teeth shifting,
- bad breath.
THE MOST COMMON AILMENTS IN THIS AREA:
- gingival recessions,
- supragingival and subgingival calculus,
- congenital and post-traumatic defects.
It should be remembered that periodontitis has a negative effect on the occurrence and course of atherosclerotic disease and its complications (stroke, myocardial infarction), diabetes, premature birth and low birth weight of the child.
The most important factor in the treatment of periodontal disease is proper, very good oral hygiene. First of all, great emphasis should be placed on dental check-ups, where hygiene instruction will be provided, i.e. the selection of an appropriate toothbrush, toothpaste and accessories. WHAT DOES THE VISIT INCLUDE?
- medical history with imaging examination, e.g. panoramic X-ray, necessary to determine the progression of the disease and to monitor its course,
- periodontal examination,
- establishing a treatment plan (non-surgical/surgical treatment depending on the form and progression of the disease),
- follow-up visits.
TREATMENTS INCLUDED IN THE FIELD OF PERIODONTOLOGY:
- supragingival/subgingival scaling,
- closed curettage,
- open curettage,
- flap treatments,
- guided tissue regeneration,
- plasticity of lips and tongue frenulum,
- Tooth splinting,
- covering exposed tooth necks,
- gum augmentation,
- clinical crown elongation.